*This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.
Sunday is my favorite day of the week. It has been since I was a little girl. My mom, brother and I would spend Saturdays running errands and cleaning the house. Then, come Sunday, we would enjoy a brunch of bacon, pancakes/French toast, and sometimes grapefruit. CBS Sunday Morning was always on in the background and my parents would be sitting in the living room reading the newspaper. We would spend the day relaxing at home.
Fast forward to now and I still try to recreate this type of Sunday with my husband, especially now that we have a daughter.
Sunday is dedicated family time for my husband and I. It is a break from the hustle and bustle of Monday through Saturday.
My husband works full time as a computer programmer and then coaches swimming for the local swimming club. He also coaches for the local high school swim team from mid-November to mid-March. Needless to say, he is very busy! This means long days for him and less time together as a family.
Sunday is the only day during the week when there are no swimming practices so we are able to spend the entire day together as a family.
We go to church, have breakfast together and relax at home. Sometimes we work on random tasks around the house like go through the mail, pay some bills, and/or put some things away, but for the most part it is a relaxing day. It is also a great day to spend eating a meal with family! We go to my husband’s parents’ house for dinner. Dinner is usually Chicken Parmesan and homemade pasta. Yum! I look forward to this meal every week.
My husband and I love watching football (or all sports for that matter!) on Sundays.
From September to January, Sundays mean football! He’s pretty lucky he married someone who loves watching sports as much as he does! We usually hang out in the living room or in the basement and watch football. Sometimes we even have snacks while we watch the games. Sometimes I work on my photobook while we watch the games. When it is not football season, we watch hockey, the Nascar races and/or baseball. It’s very relaxing and gives us something to look forward to during the week.
Sunday is dedicated family time for us. It is a natural day off from work and swimming. It is necessary to have this dedicated family time every week to spend time reconnecting with each other.
Ideas for Family Fun on Sundays
Here are some other ways you can spend time together as a family on Sundays (or whatever day works for your schedule):
- Go for a walk in your neighborhood or at a local park
- Have a picnic in your backyard or at a local park
- Visit different local playgrounds
- Watch a movie and make some popcorn – Movies are always more fun with popcorn! We love to make popcorn in our hot air popper. You get to control the salt and butter or even add your favorite mix-ins. I love M&M’s with my popcorn!
- Play a board game
- Put together a jigsaw puzzle
- Watch a TV show
- Bake and decorate a cake or cupcakes
- Bake cookies – Cut-out cookies are fun to bake and decorate with the kids! My Wilton Cookie Cutter Set is AWESOME!! I love the variety of shapes.
- Walk around the mall or outdoor shopping area – No need to buy anything because browsing and window shopping is just as fun!
- Visit the local Farmer’s Market – Check hours though because I know some of them are not open on Sundays.
- Go on a hike or nature walk at a local trail
- Visit a local Flea Market
- Visit a local bookstore
- Play an outdoor game (baseball, badminton, basketball, etc.)
How do you like to spend time together as a family? I would love to hear about some of your favorite ways to spend time together as a family by sharing a comment below!